Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A year in LA.

I have officially been living in LA for just over a year. It's amazing how the things that are now every day norm to me, I would have once thought ridiculous; seeing celebs at the bar I work at, sitting in traffic for an hour, going to auditions with 50 other women, seeing dogs in track suits....

 Not so long ago we had a house guest and she posed the question (in reference to my living here), 'why LA?'
Obviously the short answer would be, 'I followed a boy here', however, as I find myself asking that very question on a weekly basis, I gave it some thought. 

LA is definitely one of those cities you have to live in for some time to appreciate. To visit, it just seems like a big city with some glamour, some fame hungry idiots, some poverty, some tourists, some big parks and beaches, the Hollywood sign, and a bunch of desperate actors. And while this is all very true, LA, indeed, America in general, is proving to be much more than meets the eye. I'm the sort of person who embraces my surroundings, so I am not complaining, but it is a funny little thing, 'the American dream.' Wages in California are $8 an hour (better than most states), and no extra on weekends or public holidays. Makes me wonder how on earth people survive here. But, the US dollar goes a lot further and the cost of living is lower than in Australia. People work HARD here (not in LA of course, but the rest of the country yes). On average you get 2 weeks a year off if you have a 'regular' job in the US. Of course in LA, you are much less likely to meet people who have a 9-5, and much more likely to meet people in the movie industry. But there is something, that thing we see in the movies, that those who don't want to work 9-5, fight that much harder to have success in other ways, and that to me is what makes the US unique. Of course, being one of those fighters myself, I do daydream about a job that gives me health insurance and a regular pay check, but that's not why I'm here. Why I am here...well, only time will tell. For now it's one day at a time.

I do like it here the more I am here, I feel at home here despite the fact that they call Los Angeles one of the loneliest cities in the world. Obviously I am not alone here, and yes it's hard to meet a lot of genuine people here, but they are here, and when you find them you appreciate them all the more. I do still get excited when I bump into an Aussie though, it's like a natural bonding and your eyes meet and you both have an understanding, 'yep, here we are.'

So in 2 weeks I have my green card interview. Should be interesting. Just getting together all the stuff I need. But I do have a work visa now, and a social security number. And I even have to sit my drivers test (behind the wheel) next week to get a California license. Luckily I have been driving here 'illegally' for the past year so I've gotten to know the roads ;)

I have recently started doing some background acting work (nightmare and pittance pay), but I get to be on a real TV set all day, and you can meet the occasional cool person. The main thing is that it is the easiest and fastest way to become part of the union (a tricky, expensive and complicated process that I won't bore myself with by writing it down). So far I have been a cop on a new crime show, and a 'cafe patron' in some other new show. Of course a director one day will spot me on set and be like 'wow, you ate that muffin SO realistically, I have just the part for you.' Coz that's how it happens right? Not hard work and dedication. Right?

It's funny, the pull that this city has on so many. I came here ultimately because I met someone and came here to be with him, so I didn't come here with big dreams of fame or stardom, but at the same time, you have to make the most of your situation, so I am trying to dive in as much as possible. I love the improv classes I am taking, I relish the fact that things I never thought possible have proven to be possible, and as much as I may moan about it, I actually delight in the fact that I don't know what happens next. Coz that's all part of the fun.

But now I must hit the hay, I have a meeting with an agent in the morning, and as it is Hollywood, I probably shouldn't keep him waiting by turning up late. Apparently time is money.

 One thing is for sure though, I will never starve myself for this place and I will never get a boob job. Ever.

Happy one year anniversary LA, bring on the next. Sucker.

1 comment:

  1. Your fresh and electric energy pokes through the screen, whacks me over the head and says FUCKING GET OFF YOUR FUCKING BUM AND FUCKING AUDITION. Thank you. Come to Paris soon? We'll be in LA next year for a wedding, if all goes as planned. We will be staying with you, just so you know. Or maybe not - I think LA might be a bit bigger than Perth? Well, we'll see. Love and slops, Sim X

    ReplyDelete