Tuesday, September 14, 2010

U.S survival guide 1.1

Me in a restaurant:
'Could I get some tomato sauce please?'
'Sorry some what?'
'Oh, just some ketchup thanks.'

America is a complicated place yo. "Tomato sauce" does not refer to tomato sauce, pasta sauce and tomato paste like in Australia. In the US, it is just tomato sauce, something between pasta sauce and tomato paste. I had a girl ask me 'so if you were to write a shopping list for someone and you put tomato sauce on the list, what would they come back with?' And I was like 'ketchup.'

I have been here long enough now though to know the importance of these small details...that and driving on the right side of the road.

I have started this blog, not with the intention of having anyone read it necessarily, but more as an online journal. If people choose to read, cool, if not, cool. If you do happen to read this, I can't really be held responsible for what may come out as it vastly depends on my mood. I may write every day, I may write once a month.

At this point in time, I am an unemployed, non visa holding actress. Don't feel bad for me though, this can come with some perks.
Perk 1: I get to sleep in. A lot.
Perk 2: I get to spend time with my boyfriend.
Perk 3: Breakfast, dinner and lunch? Says who? I can have as many as 5 meals a day, or as few as 1 as my schedule is non-existent.
Perk 4: I get to walk around this city and take time to enjoy it.
Perk 5: There are a LOT of TV shows to catch up on. I am currently doing 'Lost.' Am up to Season 2.

Non perks:
- 'Hello, I'd like to apply for the job please.'
'Certainly, I'll just need your Social Security number.'
'Oh..never mind, have a nice day.'

- 'Hello, I'd like to buy this pack of gum please.'
'Certainly, that will be $1.78.'
'Oh, never mind, have a nice day.'

I'm kidding. A little. I can actually afford a pack of gum.

But you know what? Right now, I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else but this town full of sunshine and white teeth.

1 comment:

  1. Have you watched Six Feet Under yet? I powered through all five seasons and cried and laughed and cried some more at the end.

    ReplyDelete